Improve twitch muscle to improve sprint speed
home Muscle breaks down into two kinds: slow-twitch (type I) and fast-twitch (type II). Slow-twitch muscles work well if you run marathons, but if you want to achieve fast explosive movement you need bigger, high-velocity, fast-twitch muscle fibers.
To improve your twitch muscle, complete the following workout 3 times a week for the duration of 2 weeks. These workouts are simple and inexpensive. After putting in the work, submit a new sprint video and let’s see how much you have improved.
What you will need:
- A semi-large to large hill with a steep incline. This is ideal, but if you cannot find a steep hill, find a treadmill with max incline.
- Ankle weights of at least 5 – 10 lbs. and wrist weights of at least 2.5 – 5 lbs.
The following workout is 30 minutes long. Complete it quickly without any breaks. This is key in engaging your fast twitch muscles.
- Step 1 – Do quad, hamstring and most importantly calf stretches for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 – Put on weights and sprint up hill (on the balls of your feet) as fast as you can, ensuring to get knees high and drive them down hard and push off for each leg and foot. Jog downhill. Do this for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 – As soon as 10 minutes are up, take the weights off immediately and sprint down the hill as fast as you can and jog up. This is where you will build your twitch muscle at a rapid rate. Move your legs and feet fast or tumble down the hill. Do this for 5 minutes.
- Step 4 – Start at the bottom of the hill and stand on the balls of your feet (toes). Walk up the hill stretching out each foot step absolutely as far as you can while not falling back on to your heels and push up reaching for the sky after each step. Do this for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 – Final and most important step. Stretch your calf muscles again. This is both the breakdown and healing process for your twitch muscles.
After two weeks of training. Resubmit your sprint test and let’s see how well you did.
Click to upload your video
Click to see member’s sprint ranking